Rev. Anna Droll, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, 2019
Divisional Chair for Ministry (Seminary)
Doctor of Ministry Program Chair
SFBC&TS Journal Editor
M.Div., Fuller Theological Seminary
Ph.D., Fuller Theological Seminary
Expertise: Pentecostalism, African Pentecostalism, African Spirituality, Dreams and Visions in Pentecostal-Charismatic Spirituality
Rev. Anna M. Droll comes to SFBC &TS from California, having earned the Master of Divinity and also the PhD in Intercultural Studies at Fuller Theological Seminary. In 2021, the Fuller faculty awarded her PhD dissertation with the David Allan Hubbard Achievement Award. She has been teaching with us since 2019 and has been an adjunct professor at Southeastern University, Northwest University, and a teaching assistant at Fuller Theological Seminary. She is ordained with the Assemblies of God and appointed as an itinerant missionary to West Africa by the Northern California-Nevada District of the Assemblies of God. She is founder of the non-profit organization Kairos Global Missions, a ministry to vulnerable women in Ghana. She is married to Raymond and has three daughters, a son-in-law, and a grandson.
- Book review: Paul Pomerville: The Third Force in Mission, The Pneuma Review, Oct. 2016.
- Book review of Anthony C. Thiselton’s A Shorter Guide to the Holy Spirit: Bible, Doctrine, Experience, Grand Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 2016 in Religious Studies Review, a publication of Rice University, 2018.
- Book review: Global Renewal Christianity: Spirit-Empowered Movements Past, Present, and Future, Volume 3: Africa, edited by Vinson Synan, Amos Yong, and J. Kwabena Asamoah-Gyadu (2016), for The Pneuma Review, Nov. 2017. http://pneumareview.com/global-renewal-christianity-africa/
- Book review of Amos Yong’s The Dialogical Spirit: Christian Reason and Theological Method in the Third Millennium (2014) for The Pneuma Review, Aug. 2018. http://pneumareview.com/amos-yong-the-dialogical-spirit/
- Book review of The Marys of the Bible: The Original #MeToo Movement by Boaz Johnson in Evangelical Missions Quarterly, 56:2 (April-June 2020) 51.
- “Republic of Benin.” Encyclopedia of Christianity in the Global South, Vol. I. Mark. A. Lamport, ed. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2018, pp. 78-80.
- “Republic of Togo.” Encyclopedia of Christianity in the Global South, Vol. II. Mark. A. Lamport, ed. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2018, pp. 800-803.
- “Piercing the Veil” and African Dreams and Visions: In Quest of the Pneumatological Imagination,” Pneuma: The Journal of the Society for Pentecostal Studies, 40:3 (2018) 345-365.
- “Dreams and Visions as Welcoming Spaces for Interfaith Dialogue,” Journal of Pentecostal Theology 28:1 (2019) 143-162.
- “The Spirit and the Poor in West Africa and Tanzania: A Pentecostal Response to David J. Bosch’s “Mission in the Wake of the Enlightenment,”” Missiology: An International Review, 48:2 (2020) 181-191.
- “Dreams and Visions in African Pentecostal Spirituality: the Sub-Saharan Horizon of the Pneumatological Imagination,” 2021, published and available from Proquest Dissertations and Theses Global (25311176313).
- “Dreams, Visions, and the African Melodrama: A Commentary on the Interface Between Cinematography and Pentecostal Epistemology,” 2022. PentecoStudies, 21(1): 51-72.
- “Toward Healing the Cataract of Racial Segregation: Spaces and Places for Spiritual Formation,” 2022. Evangelical Review of Theology: A Global Forum, 46 (3): 246-252.
- “Pentecostal Principle and the Dreams and Visions of African Visioners” in Public Righteousness: The Performative Ethics of Human Flourishing, Abimbola A. Adelakun, ed. Eugene, OR: Pickwick Publications, 2023.
- Dreams and Visions in African Pentecostal Spirituality: The Sub-Saharan Horizon of the Pneumatological Imagination (Global Pentecostal and Charismatic Studies Series, 45) Leiden, The Netherlands: Brill Publishers, 2023.
COURSES TAUGHT IN HIGHER EDUCATION
- Evangelism and Mission
- Global Christianity and Ministry
- Old Testament History and Literature
- New Testament Literature and Theology
- Theology of Ministry Essentials
- I and II Corinthians
- Administration and Management
- Engaging Social Justice Issues
- Third Millennium Discipleship
- Race and Reconciliation
- Women in Ministry
- Major Project: Research Proposal
- Major Project: Literature Review
- Major Project: Dissertation Writing I
- “Piercing the Veil” and African Dreams and Visions: In Quest of the Pneumatological Imagination” presented at the Society for Pentecostal Studies conference, Cleveland, Tennessee, March 10, 2017.
- “Dreams and Visions and Welcoming Spaces for Interfaith Dialogue” presented at the American Society of Missiology conference hosted at St. Mary’s College, South Bend, Indiana, June 16, 2018.
- “Dreams and Visions and Social Engagement in African Contexts” presented at the Society for African Life and Thought (SALT) hosted at Stellenbosch University, Cape Town, South Africa, Sept. 8, 2018.
- “Rediscovering the Neglected Heritage: Pentecostalism after the Eclipse of Dreams and Visions” presented at the Society for Pentecostal Studies conference, Lanham, Maryland, Feb. 28, 2019.
- “The Spirit and the Poor in West African and Tanzania: “A Pentecostal Response to David J. Bosch’s “Mission in the Wake of the Enlightenment” presented at the American Society of Missiology conference hosted at St. Mary’s College, South Bend, Indiana, June 15, 2019.
- “Cosmology and Community: A Pneumatological Perspective of Missional Collaboration in Ghana” presented at the conference “Between Cosmology and Community: Religion and Sustainable Development” hosted by Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany, July 6, 2019. (in the process of revisions for publication in Journal Religion and Development, Humboldt University).
- “Dreams, Visions, and the African Melodrama: A Commentary on the Interface between Cinematography and Pentecostal Epistemology,” presented at GloPent 2020 held at the University of Basel, Switzerland, Feb. 14-16, 2020. (in the process of revisions for publication in PentecoStudies).
- “Reciprocity and the Stewardship of Space: Toward Christian-Muslim Relations,” presented at the Conference of the Sanneh Institute, the University of Ghana, Legon, Ghana, Feb. 26-28, 2020.
- “Wariboko’s Pentecostal Principle and the Dreams and Visions of African Pentecostals” presented at the virtual conference “The Philosophy of Nimi Wariboko,” hosted by the University of Texas at Austin with Boston University, Nov. 21, 2020. (accepted for publication in 2022 by editor Toyin Falola).
- “Pneumatological Epistemology and Missional Collaboration in Ghana” (a revision of “Cosmology and Community”) presented at the Society for Pentecostal Studies 50th Annual Meeting, Southlake, TX, March 19, 2021.
- “Dreams and Visions in African Pentecostal Spirituality” presented via Zoom to students in the course Global Pentecostalism at Gordon-Conwell Seminary, hosted by Todd Johnson, Director of the Center for the Study of Global Christianity, Oct. 19, 2021.
- “Cataracts and Christian Mission: The Power of Distorted Vision and Its Remedy for Missional Discipleship,” presented virtually at the Association of Professors of Mission, June 16, 2022.
- “Amplifying the Voices of Pentecostalism’s Visionaries: Women, Dreams, and Visions,” presented at the Society for Pentecostal Studies hosted by ORU in Tulsa Oklahoma, March 17, 2023.
- “Dreams and Visions and the African Melodrama: A Commentary on the Interface Between the African Melodrama and Pentecostal Epistemology,” presented as a pre-recorded video at the American Society of Missiology conference, June 16, 2023.
Full Curriculum Vitae (PDF)